Friday, November 12, 2010

fucking epic!

That's what Russ yelled me while sailing side by side after yet another memorable ride yesterday afternoon.

Hey, I like when the other sailors suggest me the titles of the posts... and by the way, that's the kind of cursing I like to hear in the water!
Well, guess what... he was bloody right!
Between 4 to 5.15 everything lined up (waves, tide, wind direction, wind intensity, stars and who knows what else) and we had absolute perfection out there.
Then the wind suddenly dropped and there was some swimming.
And then around 5.40 it came back. Me and Russ hit the water again for a few more waves each. Just the fact that we could bottom turn looking into a very dramatic sunset made the second swim of the day worth it...

From 3 to 3.30 I took photos at Hookipa and what I saw was gorgeous. A bit too windy for my taste (that's why I waited), but those guys didn't seem to care.
Today we start with a video.
Just a set. Levi's third top turn on the first wave was so good that I had to slow it down a couple of times.

My very few experiences with quad boards so far, have often been a bit disappointing (too much drive, too hard to turn compared to twin fins), but a couple of times I managed to get top turns in which you have the clear feeling that you can push as hard as you can and the fins won't lose the grip.
Levi's turn is a perfect example of that. His fins didn't lose one inch of drive and he threw buckets of water.

BTW, check out how Levi checks the wave behind when he's done riding his. He sees it's bigger and he keeps riding his all the way to the channel so that he won't bother the next sailor. One of the aspects of etiquette I was trying to explain in my previous post.
Enjoy.

Sailors: Levi, Griffin, Morgan, Mark.


And here's the photos in chronological order.
I can see shades of hair on Keith's head... he must have forgot to shave!


Laurent's gear survived that.


Levi.



I didn't do my usual commentary in the video, because I didn't want to disturb this lovely spanish speaking girl that was sitting right in front of me...


Mark.


Laurent always finds ways to entertain.


Best turn I've seen Griffin doing... nice one!


Manu went pretty high in this aerial. Landed on the back of the wave.


Mark clew first something.


Morgan.


A set.


Mark. Notice how his back foot covers almost the whole width of the tail. That's a board I would love to try... too bad I probably wouldn't be able to ride it properly.


Levi, super clean goiter landed perfectly.


Graham.


Mark.


Graham one hand goiter. Sick.


Bernd.


Matteo Spanu.


3.36pm. Time to decide where to go sail.
The possibility of checking the webcams in the hand held device while sitting on the cliff at Hookipa is definitely worth those extra $30 a month on the phone bill.
I'm supposed to be testing that phone, but other than using the browser once in a while to check webcams, wind sensors and buoys, I really don't care about any other applications. So, does anyone know any other hand held internet browser that supports flash (so forget Apple products), that can use cell phone networks and is cheaper than $30/month or at least doesn't imply signing a 2 years contract?
If yes, please let me know.


Many were surprised by the size of this supposedly "small" NW swell. Here's the weather map of November 9 that shows the relatively small and not too deep low that generated it. Evidently, the vicinity of the fetch was a major factor.


Today the waves will be smaller and on the way down (because the low moved NE away from us), but the buoys are still up to 4 feet (yesterday they were 6 to 8 feet), 12 seconds. Plus there's a solid 6 feet windswell.

Forecast looks good for Sunday when a 12 feet NW swell will gradually build throughout (always a thrill to spell it) the day. The wind should be the usual (for these days) easterly sideoff. Monday morning the swell will be peaking, the wind models say that it should still be windy, but I don't trust that too much.

For sure, after Monday there will be no windsurfing (light southerlies) for what seems to be a looong while. Good, my surfing muscles are getting a bit rusty...
In fact, the models show low pressures forming and hanging around very close to Hawaii all next week. I love this kind of weather pattern, when we get a rest from the relentless wind and Maui looks so beautiful and different without it.
There will be some rain though. I love that too, because the island will be greener.
In other words, I love Maui, no matter what kind of weather we get. As long as there's waves, of course... and... drum roll... no shortage of those, that's for sure!

The Triple crown of surfing first event in Haleiwa started. No contest today, they'll probably wait for the big swell to hit... don't miss it because Haleiwa on a 12 feet swell is heavy!!!

PS. Nothing better after an epic sailing session to go home and find dinner already cooked and someone happy to see you!
Thank you Mr. Ginger!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Surely it wasn't only Mr Ginger who was pleased to see you, what about the cook?

Anne